Bits and pieces of our life together in the Big Apple

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Phases


Now before I go on, I have to warn you. You may find this to be a kind of different blog post. Different from others I have posted at least. No photos, just writing. It seems, this blog has not only turned into a space for family to keep up with Scot and my adventures here in the city, but a place where I can just write. If you didn't know, I actually LOVE to write. It’s the only way I can seem to put words to my feelings and thoughts and make sense of them all. Now that that has been said... can’t say I didn't warn you. It's long.

There's something you should know about me. (besides my love for writing) and this something  was only recently discovered. I had never realized this about myself, until about 2 years ago when my roommate Victoria pointed it out to me. After she said it--I knew she was right. Suddenly a certain aspect of me was made known, and I've made a mental note of it ever since. It’s rather funny if you ask me....and gave Victoria and I a laugh when we first realized it.


I am a girl of phases


Now before you start jumping to conclusions of what that statement actually means, it’s nothing bad. More just a funny little quirk that my Husband likes to poke fun at me for. 

 
You see, over the years I have realized that I go through these funny phases of interest. Some last a week, some last months. When I get interested in something, or someone, or discover a new song, or new food, or new recipe. I go through this phase where it’s either all I eat, all I listen to, all I read about, all I want to make, all I want to do, and all I want to talk about. Now using the word “all” is a little extreme--during my “snickerdoodle cookie baking phase”, I didn't ONLY bake cookies. However, I did try that recipe over and over again during the course of a few weeks until it was perfected.


It all started when I was in the third grade. Well, at least that’s about as far back as I can remember it starting.The topic in History class that day was--The Titanic.  Now I have no idea what it was about the Titanic that interested me so, but something grabbed my attention so much that it caused me to learn EVERY SINGLE THING about the subject in what I like to now call my “Titanic phase” that lasted for about 6 months. I remember my parents buying me tons of books about the Titanic, and I would read them. Avidly.  In fact I remember one time my Mom took me to a museum in Boston, where I actually got to touch part of the ship! (Wasn't that just the best day ever.) Hahaha, my dorky side is revealed.


Now, this was also around the time the movie Titanic came out, which I couldn't see at that age (for obvious reasons) and after such a tragic “no” from my parents on watching the movie, combined with  now having learned pretty much every little thing about the subject... the phase ended. 


However, I can still tell you every fact possible. 

Some of the other phases I had through my childhood were people like Mia Hamm-- my childhood Soccer Idol, in which I again learned every little thing about, and studied her soccer skills until I perfected the moves. Others--Sandra Bullock. Miss Congeniality made me laugh so hard, I insisted on renting every other movie with this actress in it for the next year. As well as learning her life story. Pretty incredible person. She still holds the position of favorite actress. Then, of course came the phase all little girls went through in the 90’s-- Boy Bands. But I wouldn't just listen and drool over them, I would research and learn about how they came to be, and who they were as people. At age 9 or 10? So weird. 


Other phases that have resulted in my extensive knowledge of random topics have been The Revolutionary War, (which came in handy this summer when Scot and I walked the Freedom Trail in Boston, and he got his own personal tour guide with all the facts. Ha) Also, Cowboys and Indians (Both of which became memorable themes of childhood birthday parties). 



I have also had food phases with things like cornbread, peanut butter- cinnamon and honey on toast, popcorn, orange juice, oatmeal raisin granola bars,olives, cucumber salad, cheerios, and peanut M&M's. Now as far as the food items go, you're probably thinking, "Okay, those are all just things you like, that's not weird." True. But all of which were at times the ONLY drink, snack, food, or candy I wanted. And I'd eat/drink them...
all. the. time.

Thankfully, all my random phases of interest have always been innocent, and have only resulted in crazy deep knowledge of very random subjects.

Now this doesn't mean I am not a girl of variety. I love learning, and eating and listening to all different things. But I definitely have a quirky phase side to me. Recently Scot has said I'm in my "celebrity phase" .... every time I go outside I think I see someone famous. I blame it on the city. It's crazy to think how many stars live within a mile from me. 

Now for the moral of the story...

When I think back about all these phases I've gone through, I realized something. At one time, I thought I was going through a phase. But this specfic phase became something deeper. It became real. It became my LIFE. And this would significantly impact the rest of my future. 

At the time, friends even mentioned how I was going through a little "religious phase". But it wasn't a phase.

When I was a Junior in High School I became good friends with a girl on my soccer team. After hanging out a few times, there was something different about her. She was Mormon. "wait but you look normal?" I remember thinking as I had some skewed perception that Mormons were like Amish people. As the soccer season went on, I found it so inspiring about how she talked about her religion. Suddenly the "Mormon phase" began. I went home and researched EVERYTHING I could about the religion. I was so interested right away. I started going to church. Meeting with missionaries. Listening to church music. Reading the Book of Mormon, and loving every minute of it. In fact, after a while I realized my "phase" was becoming more and more permanent. I knew this is what I wanted in my life. 

Now, as I am approaching my 4 year mark of being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, I feel more blessed than ever. Every good thing in my life has been enriched because of this decision. My membership in the church is the most important part of my life. And I hope all of you that are reading this really hear me, when I tell you how much happiness and pure bliss this church provides. How much comfort, strength, friendships, and love. It gives purpose to my everyday. I don't usually write about these things publicly, but today I just felt the urge. I hope all of you that are reading this who have never heard of the LDS church, never learned about it, or maybe have and have fallen away from it. Learn about it. It will change your life.

With all of this, I want to write one more thing. I believe there are certain phases that we go through that impact our lives in ways we can't even begin to imagine. Some are really just that--a phase. And others, ingrain themselves into who we are. The love I have for my family, for my Husband, for my friends, and for my Father in Heaven, and for this church will NEVER be a phase. It's permanent. 

Click on the link for more information. Happy Wednesday Everyone!

http://www.lds.org/?lang=eng






5 comments:

  1. i love this post! i totally see what you're talking about. you majorly get involved in stuff. it's a good quality sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! You are amazing and I am glad you are who you are and the gospel just lets you shine even brighter. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned alot about you Sarah! Thanks for sharing your "phases" It was so fun to skype with you guys on sunday- I realized I haven't "seen" you since you guys got married and it made me miss you and Scot so much! We can't wait to see you, the kids miss you like crazy and thanks for the cute idea for Charley's birthday adventure in NYC! love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post sarah! So sweet of you to share your story :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, you are amazing :) I always enjoy reading your posts but I loved this one because it was more than your daily activities (which I still love). Thanks for sharing more about you! Scot is a very very lucky man :)

    ReplyDelete